Twenty-three days and a wake-up. But who's counting? When Kelly leaves Afghanistan in 23 days, on September 30th, it'll take him a full week to get back to Kansas City, via Kuwait City & Ft. Bliss, TX. That's thirty days and a wake-up for us. When he left on January 6th, it seemed like October was such a long way off, and yet, here we are. Just 23 more days and a wake-up!
In some ways, our lives have gone through many changes over the past nine months. Plans have been unexpectedly rearranged. Things didn't go exactly the way we had anticipated. There have been some ups and downs. Most of those changes seemed to happen outside of our control.
One of the changes I purposefully made in April was a dedicated effort to my health; physical and mental health. I became reacquainted with my bicycle, walking shoes and yoga mat. The local bike trails have helped me to clear my mind, reduce stress and enjoy the beauty of our area. The moderate temperatures this spring and summer have been a blessing and made for perfect riding and walking. This summer, I joined a weekly, early morning yoga class at the marina of Shawnee Mission Lake; about 15-20 people gathered at 6:45 am to watch the sun rise, listen to the geese & birds and feel the breeze as we attempted to hold poses on a gently swaying dock.
Last week, Ian had the opportunity to mow a friend's pasture, so I slung my camera around my neck and brought my bike along and rode trails and roads I'd never been on before. It was a beautiful cool morning and the sun broke through the trees along the pathways.

No comments:
Post a Comment